Monday, October 20, 2008

Can you spare a pillow?

Another week down - as of today, I am 10 weeks pregnant! It's hard to believe. I feel like it was just last week that we found out and began telling our families - and I was only about 4 weeks at that time! So ten weeks, wow. Here's the weekly breakdown:

BUN:
Big news for Bun this week - he/she's no longer an embryo. It's graduated to a fetus! What exactly that means, I don't know. I guess it's like going from a baby to a toddler. But the word "fetus" gives me the heebies, so we're just sticking with saying "baby". The baby's still growing like crazy - supposedly it'll reach about an inch and a half this week. Everything I've read compared it to the size of a prune, only without all of the shriveled-ness. Bun's also supposed to lose the "reptile" look completely this week, straightening out and losing the "tail" to look like a baby instead of a lizard (or at least babies that age looked like little lizards to me in online pictures!).

ME:
No big changes for me since the last post. I'm still very anti-meat and very pro-cheese/pasta/potato. I've noticed that I haven't had a sick day in a couple of weeks now (knock on wood). I had some minor queasiness this morning, but it was nothing compared to what I'd been through in earlier weeks. I haven't weighed myself this week, so I couldn't tell you if I've gained anything. My pants still fit (with the exception of me undoing the top button when I sit), so I take that as a sign that I'm doing alright weight-wise. There is something that I didn't touch in my last post that has taken the lead in constant preggo-symptoms. I am EXHAUSTED. All the time. Seriously. I tell everyone that if you snapped your fingers and said "Go to sleep", I would. And I'd jump at the opportunity to prove it. Please - give me an excuse to take a nap. Just 20 minutes. Make it 45. I'm begging you. It isn't uncommon for me to fall asleep in the car (as a passenger of course, silly!), even if it's just a short drive to/from my parents' house. Or to the grocery store. Or to a restaurant. I've been tempted many days to close my office door and stretch out on the floor during my lunch hour. Now that the weather's nice, I've actually gone out to my car on my lunch break, rolled the windows down, laid my seat back, and shut my eyes. And it was wonderful. And if you don't think all of these things are just a little over the top, here's the kicker. I now go to bed at 8pm. 8PM!!! I know 7 year olds that go to bed later than that! But I can't help it - I just need to sleep. And it's so wonderful. On weekends, Kevin tries to keep me up a little later, but I've yet to make it past about 10. I know, sad.

I guess the newest and most surprising addition to my baby tale is the appearance of my baby bump. By all standards, it's definitely just in the beginning phases. But when you've had a relatively flat stomach and a narrow waistline for 25 1/2 years, you definitely notice when things change in that department. I'm definitely rounder, and any hint of muscle definition that I'd worked so hard to achieve (although always covered by a nice layer of "cushion" as I liked to call it - ha) has now disappeared. It's just... round. And bloated. Funny thing is, it changes daily. One day I'm all round and poking out, and the next day I'm "flat". And I've noticed that I'm always rounder by the end of the day. I'm sure it's all relative to how much and how often I grazed throughout the day, but I know that there's a little baby floating somewhere in there that's the root of all this change. So bizarre. I'm still not used to it. Luckily, I'm still able to hide it from people who I'm just not ready to tell yet. The change in my belly is 100% obvious to me, but apparently not so much to everyone else. I guess because I know what's going on, and I'm constantly staring at my belly looking for changes. I definitely don't think I'm going to be one of those women who can go 5 months without showing. No such luck for me. But at the same time, I'm so completely awed by my changing belly. I kinda like it! Or maybe I just like the fact that I can eat and eat, watch my belly grow in response, and not feel the least bit guilty about it. hmm. Tough call.

And so continues the saga of first-time pregnancy. Every day I wake up, get dressed, and go to work. If only a pillow and blanket would fit in my purse. And a Chipotle burrito maker. And a full-time massage therapist. ...It's always nice to dream, right?...

0 comments: