Friday, September 5, 2008

Airport Ponderings

Sitting in the airport in Charleston, WV, and here are a few of my random thoughts at the moment (mostly travel-related, as that seems to encompass my life lately):

1) "Living out of a suitcase" is something often spoken by celebreties in magazines. Therefore, that phrase somehow connotates a certain amount of "glamour" and "excitement" in my mind. Um, not anymore. I've been living out of my suitcase for nearly the past month now, and glamourous and exciting it is not. Perhaps if I were staying at the Ritz or Four Seasons. In a suite. With a teleportation device that will zap in my hubby and pups (and girlfriends, of course, for girls' nights!) at the command of "Beam me up, Scotty!"

2) Hurricane season is a little more scary when you own a house. Hurricane seasons when I lived with my parents or in an apartment were exciting - Hey! Hurricane party!. While hurricane parties are still totally a part of the plan, I find that I'd be drinking more to forget that my roof might blow away at any second instead of "yay! it's a hurricane! woohoo!" Fortunately, no hurricanes have come through Houston in the past few years. None of substance, anyway. Yet I have somehow managed to be in the line of fire for Dolly, Gustav, and currently the one riding up the east coast. Forgot her name.

3) The man that just sat down next to me at our airport gate stinks a little bit. A cross between old people, body odor, and whatever it is that he's munching on. I am suddenly very aware and thankful that I am on a Continental jet going home (the plane with 2 seats one one side and 1 seat on the other) and I am on the side with the single seat!

4) I am still completely obsessed with the Twilight series I've been reading (see previous post). I'm now in the middle of the 4th book, and I literally have to make myself put it down so that I will go to sleep. And also so that I'll still have some book left to read on my flights home. I am a little upset (ok a lot upset) that once I finish this book, the series is over. Done. Finished. Gone. Well, for now. There's the movie in November and rumors of a book from Edward's point of view to be published, but when?? What is going to hold over my Edward addiction in the mean time? Do I start reading the series over again, or would that just be crazy? To keep from going overboard, I've promised the books to my sister so that she can join the obsession.

Well, there you have it. My current random thoughts at the moment. So now I'll put away my computer, flip through a few magazines I bought in the goodie shop (an obsessive airport habit of mine), and then people-watch until I board the plane and can tear into my book again.

2 comments:

KAREN! said...

so speaking of that damn series-- i picked up twilight at midnight on friday. (BAD IDEA). at 3 am, i finished it (I HAD TO!). saturday night, i read the entire second one. sunday night i read the entire 1st one. and the only reason why i havent finished the 4th (in the middle right now also) is b/c grad school is REALLY time consuming. it's not a good thing when you're sitting in class going "shut up so i can go home and figure out what HAPPENS NEXT!"

KAREN! said...

*i meant 3rd, not 1st. and im going to stop reading blogs b/c i have to continue reading!